Have you tried looking for a good portable compressor but could not find one powerful enough but still compact? For many of us who like engaging in DIY projects, we are looking for an air compressor that is light enough for use on smaller tasks and capable of taking on more complex projects. In this Porter-Cable C2002 review, we will take a peek at this model if this is the type of air compressor that can satisfy our needs.
Things to Consider Before You Buy an Air Compressor
Are you a hobbyist, technician, mechanic, or contractor? Then you will need to have an air compressor that is sure to keep up and won’t fail you. Before we dive deeper into this Porter-Cable C2002 review, here are some of the things you should look into when you buy an air compressor.
- Horsepower or HP- A 5-horsepower motor is a device that you’ll get from an industrial air compressor. Hobby compressors usually run up to 1-2 horsepowers.
- Air Pressure or PSI – Most air compressors need 90 PSI, but they must have a higher shut-off pressure to maintain this. Smaller compressors shut off at about 125 to 135 PSI.
- Cubic Feet Per Minute or CFM – This is the volume needed to keep the air compressor going. It is ideal to have one with a CFM of 2-4 per HP at 90 PSI.
Tank Size – The size of the tank doesn’t matter too much since it does not produce air. The tank only stores it. What you need to look into would be a sufficiently-sized pump and motor.
Porter-Cable C2002 Review
Now that we’ve covered the factors you need to consider before buying an air compressor let’s get right into the Porter-Cable C2002 review!
It may be easy to judge the C2002 as just a tool for hobbyists, for starters. But do not let the small size of this air compressor fool you. It has a powerful motor, and it can replace air much faster than similar products.
You can use the C2002 for airbrush projects, floor molding, framing, tire inflating, and nailing at rapid speeds. This air compressor is suitable for a variety of tasks. The best thing about it is that since it’s compact, you can bring it with you for camping trips when you need to pump inflatables.
To get —12 Best Portable Air Compressors
With the size of a compressor like the C2002, it’s best to use it only intermittently. The design of the C2002 is a good middle ground between a professional and enthusiast’s tool, but it’s not meant to run all day long. If you have to use it for long durations, make sure to give it a 15-minute cooling time whenever you use it for 45 minutes.
The Porter-Cable C2002 weighs 30 lbs, but it has a 6-gallon capacity. You can move it around easily if you have projects at home, in your workshop, at a job site, or even in a vehicle. This air compressor is a winner in air storage capacity and portability.
- The air compressor needs 120v to operate. If you’re going to use it at home, make sure that it will be on a different circuit from the appliances such as laundry machines, refrigerators, and dryers.
- Since this tool is electrically powered, you won’t have any problems starting it in cold environments.
- With its large tank capacity, you can easily add 20 PSI to 4 tires, with the compressor kicking in only about twice throughout the process.
- If you want to use the C2002 for pneumatic nailers and staples, this tool will work excellently up to 18-gauge nailers.
- The air compressor may be left running almost continuously for the air hose and airbrush. When it comes to restoring pressure, its engine can keep up with it.
- Since the C2002 has a dual-outlet system, it can run two nailers without any problem. You can use this for framing and carpentry projects.
If you’re going to use impact wrenches and other heavy-duty tools, you may need more than what the C2002 can provide. The applications mentioned earlier are examples that the C2002 can be used for with its 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI.
Most wrenches need about 5 to 8 CFM and are beyond the designed capacity of the Porter-Cable C2002. While this air compressor is more than a hobbyist’s tool, it won’t compete with those professional industrial compressors. If you’re going to need a heavy-duty tool, consider the capacity and limitations of this model in this Porter-Cable C2002 review before you buy one.
What Users are Saying
Many people like the fact that they are receiving a fantastic deal. It is compact and portable enough for small projects yet has enough power. A lot of the comments from the users say that they especially like the tank’s design because it doesn’t take up so much space. Here are what they have to say about the Porter-Cable C2002.
Before we conclude this Porter-Cable C2002 review, let’s take a look at some of the other similar models.
- Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor – This model has a horizontal tank with a 3-gallon capacity. With a 0.36 CFM at 90 PSI and a maximum PSI of 110, it is sufficient for DIY projects.
- Craftsman Air Compressor – This unit has a similar pancake design as the C2002. It has a 6 gallon capacity with 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI. The max PSI is at 150, ensuring that you can use it for many different applications.
- Dewalt Pancake Air Compressor – This air compressor also has a 6-gallon tank with 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI. Its motor is highly efficient, and you can use it in cold climates. It only has a noise level of 75.5 dBA so that it won’t be much of a disturbance to others.
What do you think of these alternative units? Be sure to check them out so you can choose the best one for your needs.
Among the air compressors in this category, the Porter-Cable C2002 is one best. Its size and its affordability make it a top choice for many. To know more about the C2002, click here. And if you have had the chance to use this product, do share your experience!