Planning to get one of the best 60-gallon air compressors for your project but need clarification on which one to go for? If yes, this article will help you out!
A few days back, I was checking out the features, pros, and cons of 60-gallon air compressors from different brands. It was shocking how one model varies from the other; surely, these differences will confuse you in choosing the ideal one. Here I came up to share my findings and guide you in purchasing the best 60-gallon air compressor. So, let’s begin-
Top Three 60-Gallon Air Compressors
|Best OverallQuincy QT-54 Splash||100% duty cycle Has cooling system Heat dissipationEnergy efficient and durable||Check Price On Amazon|
|Best Budget CAT-60040CAD||Powerful motor Low power drawAutomatic draining Affordable||Check Price On Amazon|
|Best For Quiet Operation DeWalt DXCMV5076055||Ultra-quiet operationPowerful MotorDual stage pump Versatile functioning||Check Price On Amazon|
Top 60 Gallon Air Compressor – Overall #1 Rated Pick
Quincy is an excellent brand to manufacture premium quality air compressors for medium to heavy air compressing applications. I have chosen the model Quincy QT-54 Splash, a 60-gallon air compressor, as our top-list compressor. It is suitable for multi-functional activities, is quiet, and has affordable pricing. Here are the features of this air compressor:
- Quincy QT-54 Splash has an efficient motor of 5 horsepower with a 30,000-hour pump life rating. This powerful motor of the device allows you to use the device for heavy-duty activities.
- The noise level of this compressor is far less than most other air compressors with a 60-gallon tank capacity. It produces about dB 75, which is quite tolerable.
- Quincy QT-54 Splash offers you 100 duty cycles; that is, it can run continuously without any break. So, if you are looking for a long-term air compressor for continuous application, this can be your ideal choice.
- You are getting a CFM of 15.7 @ 90 PSI and a CFM of 15.2 @ 175 PSI. This rating offers the compressor sufficient air pressure to run powerful air tools for industrial activities.
- It includes a powerful cooling system that saves the gadget from overheating. It further has extra capacity for the oil reservoir, which keeps the oil temperature minimal. Besides, the aluminum head of the device aids in better heat dispersion.
|4-cylinder pump for heavy-duty100% duty cycle Has cooling system Heat dissipationCast iron flywheelEnergy efficient and durableSplash lubricated UL & CSA approved Oil reservoirs with more capacity for low oil temperatures Manual ball valve for convenient use||Oil lubricated; requires frequent oil refill|
Other 60-Gallon Air Compressor
CAT-60040CAD is one of California air tool’s most popular 60-gallon air compressor models. This air compressor is well known for its quiet operation and powerful dual motor of 2 HP that ensures efficient performance.
- CAT-60040CAD features two 2.0 HP (Horse Power) motors, giving it a total of 4.0 HP of motor power. As a result, the duty cycle ultimately increases running the motor at 1680 RPM. Besides, it has an extended lifetime of 3000+ hours in total.
- It has a cast iron cylinder that protects the tank from any outer injury. So, you can use these devices on construction sites, also.
- With an airflow capacity of 10.6 Cubic Feet Per Minute at 90 PSI and 12.60 Cubic Feet Per Minute at 40 PSI, CAT-60040CAD can power multiple air tools.
- Regarding quiet operation in the 60-gallon air compressor range, it is tough to beat CAT-60040 CAD. It produces only 75 dB of sound while operating and thus maintains a quiet environment while operating.
- The auto drain of this air compressor is a worth-mentioning feature. So, with this air compressor, you need not keep checking the water content in the tank. Once the tank has water sedimentation, it will automatically drain it.
- CAT-60040CAD supports multi-functional activities. You can use numerous air tools with this device that allows- drilling, nailing, air painting, etc.
- It is an electric power air compressor. So, you don’t need any oil refilling hassle. This minimizes your maintenance cost and aid in convenient usage.
- This air compressor is pretty light in comparison to other devices of this tank capacity. It weighs only 213 pounds, which aids in easy transportation.
|Quiet operationPowerful motor Low power draw automatic draining Has pressure adjusting valve Water separation system multi-functional Durable||May have valve failing issues Not compatible with a blast cabinet|
If you are looking for a heavy-duty industrial air compressor of 60-gallons, Dewalt DXCMV5076055 is a brilliant choice. It is a vertical structure air compressor with an iconic yellow-painted body.
- It is a two-stage air compressor suitable for larger workloads and also supports multiple pneumatic tools. It can drive powerful air tools, including impacts, ratchets, sanders, and cutting blades.
- The powerful 5-horsepower motor of this air compressor supports maximum CFM @ 175 PSI. This rating aids the compressor in supporting multiple tools at a time.
- DXCMV5076055 comes with a patented pump design allowing cooler running pumps. This prevents the air compressor from getting overheated. In addition, it has a wire belt that improves the cooling mechanism.
- This bulky beast operates only at 65 dB providing an ultra-quiet working environment. Thus, you can use this device even indoors without irritating your neighbors.
- It is an oil-lubricated air compressor and has an oil watch glass. As a result, you can quickly check the oil level and refill it as needed. Besides, it has a 4-inch extension for oil drainage.
- The electric motor of this device has a thermal overload protection system. It shields the motor from voltage changes and eliminates needing a magnetic starter.
- This air compressor comes with a tank pressure gauge to monitor the pressure fluctuations inside the tank. You will also get an on/off switch in the upper section of the device.
|Powerful MotorDual stage pump Ultra-quiet operationVersatile functioning thermal protection system shipped with synthetic oilFilter for dust-free air Offer 2 years warranty||The manual provides no instructions for wiringHas oil leakage chances|
Industrial Air ILA3606056 is a twin-cylinder industrial air compressor designed for professionals. This device is suitable for heavy-duty construction sites and also supports multi-functionality.
- The single-phase motor of the Industrial Air ILA3606056 features a 5 HP motor and works on 230V. To protect the system from voltage fluctuations, it is built with thermal overload protection.
- It features an innovative pump and piston design that guarantees constant air-compressing services and maintains a low operating temperature.
- This air compressor provides 15.3 CFM at 100 PSI and 13.5 CFM at 175 PSI. This rating is enough to power multiple air tools like air hammers, sanders, nailers, impact drivers, nail guns, air spray guns, and more.
- A tank pressure gauge is included with this air compressor to track changes in tank pressure. Besides, you will find an on/off switch in the upper section of the device.
- Industrial Air ILA3606056 offers you a two-year limited warranty.At this point, you can contact them for assistance if you experience any server problems with the gadget.
|Powerful 3450 RPM motor suitable for multi-functional operation Dual-stage pump oil-free patented design for cooler functioning as thermal protection system Offer a two-year limited warranty||Need to purchase the electric cord separately|
Ingersoll Rand SS5 is a 60-gallon air compressor by the renowned brand Ingersoll. Its construction is strong and long-lasting, making it useful for all air-compressing jobs.
- The 5-horsepower motor of Ingersoll Rand SS5 offers you a 100% duty cycle. That is, it can perform continuously without any requirement for a break. If you are looking for a device with long time operation, this is an excellent choice.
- This single-stage air compressor is also suitable for do-it-yourself projects and heavy-duty industrial works. It can do a variety of tasks, such as drilling, airbrushing, spraying, nailing, etc. So, you can use them for light household duties like checking tire pressure and dusting off a workbench or for heavy-duty professional jobs like die grinding.
- Ingersoll Rand SS5 has a maximum air pressure of 135 PSI. It further has an automatic on/off pressure gauge. When your device reaches the desired pressure level, it automatically turns off. So, you need not watch over the device while it operates.
- The durability of this device is worth mentioning. It has a cast iron construction that aids in long-term use, extending 5000 hours.
- It is an electric-powered device ideal for enclosed areas. So, using this device, unlike oil-powered ones, you need not worry about black smoke. It further reduces your maintenance cost with no requirement for an oil refill.
- There are many additional features in Ingersoll Rand SS5, including oil glass and easy oil refilling, an easy filter change option, and more.
|100% duty cycle Oil sight gaugeFully assembledDurableEasy to change filterEasy to oil refill Pre-wired Electric powered Automatic start/stop pressure switch||Doesn’t have rubber feet; it vibrates a lot during the operation|
Campbell Hausfeld 60-gallon air compressor is an excellent model for quiet operation. The most amazing feature of this air compressor is its long run time and extensive durability.
- The Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 is a two-stage 60-gallon air compressor. This model is ideal for multi-purpose activities. Using this, you can power numerous high-power air tools suitable for tire inflation, sanding, nailing, airbrushing, grinding, and more.
- It has a powerful 240 Volt motor of 3.7 horsepower that creates maximum air pressure to operate industrial works. This provides the device longer run time.
- Regarding durability, nothing can beat Campbell Hausfeld. It has 5000 hours a lifetime, which extends its durability. Besides, these devices ensure continuous airflow with a maximum air pressure of 175 PSI and 7.6 SCFM at 90 PSI.
- The noise level of this device is also tolerable. It only generates 65dB, which is barely audible and sufficient to maintain a suitable working atmosphere.
- The warranty policy of this air compressor ensures its premium quality. It comes with a three years warranty, so at this time, you can contact them for free servicing if you find any issues.
|Powerful motor Longer run time Quick recoveryQuiet operationMulti-functionalHigher air pressure 3 years of warranty||Short cord length|
PowerMate Vx PLA3706056 is an oil-lubricated air compressor with a cast iron air tank. This is a stationary compressor of the single stage that offers multi-functional activities. Check the below points to explore more features of this air compressor-
- PowerMate Vx PLA3706056 is a single-stage air compressor with a robust structure thanks to its cast iron composition. The device is designed for professional use in industrial and agricultural activities.
- Its thermal protection system includes an aluminum head, valve plate, and iron cylinder body.This controls the temperature and stops the gadget from overheating while it is in use.
- The 12-inch cast iron flywheel of PowerMate Vx PLA3706056 aids smooth engine performance. So it can run for longer while operating at a lower noise level.
- PowerMate Vx PLA3706056 is an oil-lubricated air compressor with an oil-level sight glass for monitoring. You can thus check the oil level and decide when your compressor needs an oil refill or replacement. It further has an easily accessible oil fill system so that you can do the oiling task by yourself.
- This air compressor has a maximum pressure of 155 PSI, which is sufficient for excellent tool performance. It further comes with synthetic lubricant for long life and performance.
- It supports multi-functional activities that include drilling, airbrushing, spraying, nailing, and more.
|Thermal protection system Higher PSI ratingsLonger run timeOil-glass for monitoring Easy oil refill system electric -poweredTwo years warranty||Frequent oil refilling is required|
60-gallon air compressors are often bulky and come in a stationary format. But with Puma Industries PK-6060V, you are getting a portable option.
- Puma Industries PK-6060V has a super light structure that weighs only 305 lbs. Besides, it has a dimension of 71 x 29 x 20 Inches which gives the device a slim fit style compared to other 60-gallon air compressors. This supports portability and easy storage.
- It has a powerful motor of 3 horsepower and supplies air pressure of 135 maximum PSI. With these pressure ratings, you can use the device for a wide range of usage, both for small to medium works.
- It has steel wheels for easy mobility; in addition, the ball bearing with no flat tires allows you to move the device smoothly.
- Puma Industries PK-6060V is an oil-lubricated air compressor. So, the noise level is quite low compared to other oil-less variants. It is also durable and can run for a long time.
|Portable Easy storage Quiet operation Higher PSI Powerful engineDurability||Not fit for heavy industrial works|
Application Of 60-Gallon Air Compressor
When you have decided to purchase a 60-gallon air compressor, you should know its application. However, these bulky devices are suitable for a wide range of applications starting from inflation to running impact wrenches, yet I am pointing out some common uses-
- Powering Nail Guns
For powering nail guns, portable air compressors are your go-to choice. Now you may wonder about this application as 60-gallon air compressors are usually heavy and designed in a static format. In this case, the portable Puma Industries PK-6060V 60-gallon compressor from our above-listed compressor would be a brilliant choice.
But you can also use stationary 60-gallon air compressors to power nail guns. In this case, a long hose attachment will help you to work with the nails conveniently. Another reason for suggesting a stationary compressor is its higher CFM capacity. These compressors usually have powerful motors and better airflow capacity than portable ones.
- Sanding & Grinding
60-gallon air compressors are great options if you need one for your workshop or renovation project. Sanding and grinding are the most used tasks in applications like smoothing furniture, woodwork, cabinets, drywalls, hard floors, etc.
These finishing and smoothing activities require a CFM rating from 5 to 16 and an air pressure rate of 90 PSI to 100 PSI. A 60-gallon air compressor can easily meet these requirements and assist you in sanding and grinding tasks.
Painting automobiles or furniture or doing any do-it-yourself tasks in your house, garage, or workshop requires an air compressor with at least 5 CFM. And for extensive application, the CFM requirements can be up to 14 CFM. And the air pressure ratings required for the painting task range from 45 PSI to 75 PSI.
A 60-gallon air compressor can offer CFM above 15 and air pressure over 90 PSI to 100 PSI. Besides, they have a pressure gauge to maintain the air pressure inside the tank. This makes them an ideal option to use for airbrushing or painting.
- Run Impact Wrench
You may often need to impact wrenches on air compressors for DIY projects. In this case, consider an air compressor’s tank size to ensure sufficient air pressure to run the impact wench.
The requirement of impact wenches differs with the size of nuts; usually, they come in a length of 1, 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, and 3/8 -inch. Additionally, their diameters dictated distinct ventilation requirements. And to operate impact wenches of these sizes, a 60-gallon air compressor with an airflow capacity of 9–15 CFM is more than enough.
Besides all these applications, you can use a 60-gallon air compressor for various purposes- tire inflation, inflating other inflates, drilling, spraying, etc.
Things to Know While Choosing The Best 60-Gallon Air Compressor
Before purchasing any air compressor, remember that they can build sufficient air flow and pressure to run your tools. In this section, I am going to point out some essential factors for you that you must know before purchasing a 60-gallon air compressor-
- Type Of Air Compressor: While purchasing a 60-gallon air compressor, you will find a wide variety in its working mechanism and functioning. That is why, first, you need a proper idea about the types of air compressors. It can be a single-stage, double-stage, oil-lubricated, oil-free, stationary, portable, or electric air compressor. Each of these categories has its own advantages and disadvantages. So, first research each of these types, then decide which one you should choose. However, for an overall idea about air compressors, you can check this- What Is Air Compressor And How Does It Work?
- PSI Ratings: PSI stands for ‘Pounds Per Square Inch.’ It determines the air pressure-producing capacity of an air compressor. Usually, a 60-gallon air compressor offers an air pressure ranging from 90 PSI to 100 PSI or above. However, before purchasing the compressor, you must check if the ratings are accurate because manufacturers often input incorrect values to gain profit. So, check this article for a complete guideline on PSI – What Is PSI In An Air Compressor And How To Calculate It?
- CFM Ratings: The team CFM is used to identify the airflow capacity of an air compressor. However, this CFM has a deeper relationship with PSI ratings, for which you will find this rating side-by-side while examining any compressor. For instance, if you purchase a 60-gallon air compressor with 10.6 CFM at 90 PSI, it means the device can produce 10.6 cubic feet of compressed air per meter when the air pressure is 90 PSI. To learn more about CFM, check out What Is CFM For Air Compressors And How To Calculate It?
- Motor Power: The motor power of an air compressor is calculated using the horsepower (HP) unit. It determines how efficiently an air compressor can do its task. Higher motor power gives better performance. For a 60-gallon air compressor, a motor power from 3 HP to 7HP is ideal for multiple tasking.
- Duty Cycle: The duty cycle of the air compressor indicates how long the device can run without any break. For instance- Quincy QT-54 Splash, our top-ranked 60-gallon air compressor, has a 100% duty cycle. It means it can run continuously without any break to cool down. Here is a chart for better understanding-
|Duty Cycle||On/Off Timing|
|10%||1 min On & 9 min Off|
|20%||2 min On & 8 min Off|
|30%||3 min On & 7 min Off|
|40%||4 min On & 6 min Off|
|50%||5 min On & 5 min Off|
- Power Source: Air compressors can be diesel, gas, electric corded, or battery-powered. You will find these categories for 60-gallon air compressors also. Usually, diesel or gas-powered air compressors require high maintenance and frequent fuel refill. In this case, electric air compressors are a safer choice. But, a short cord length can limit your usage, so check the length before purchasing.
- Weight: 60-gallon air compressors are often bulky in size as most of them are made of steel or iron. If you are looking for a lightweight one, compare different models and then decide. You can check Puma Industries PK-6060V; it weighs only 305 lbs and is portable.
- Noise Level: You may think that bigger air compressors are more noisy. But the fact is not true. A 60-gallon air compressor can be quiet as producing just 65dB while operating. DeWalt DXCMV5076055 and Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 are excellent choices to purchase for quiet operation. They will help you to maintain a calm environment without irritating the neighborhood.
The Bottom Line
Analyzing all the features of our listed 60-gallon air compressors, I suggest you go for Quincy QT-54 Splash. It has a powerful motor with a 100% duty cycle that offers continuous operation. This compressor comes in a pretty affordable range and has a heat dispersion system.
In terms of quiet operation, DeWalt DXCMV5076055 is my recommendation. If you want an ultra-quiet operating environment, nothing can beat this model. However, Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 is also an excellent choice, providing 50,000 lifetime hours.
Besides, when the budget is a concern, CAT-60040 CAD by California Air Tools is your go-to choice. You can also go for Puma Industries PK-6060V for portability. Therefore, the choice is yours; analyze which model suits your project and get the best option.
FAQs On 60-Gallon Air Compressor
What tools can a 60-gallon air compressor run?
A 60-gallon air compressor can run a wide range of tools, including- a driller, nail gun, inflator, sander, impact winces, air spray, airbrush, and more.
Is a 60-gallon air compressor very noisy?
The noise level of the 60-gallon air compressor depends on the models or brands- some offer quiet operation, which can be as less as 65 dB, while others can be louder. So, you should go through several options and choose the quietest one.
What is the CFM of a 60-gallon air compressor?
The CFM rating of a 60-gallon air compressor varies from brand to brand, yet most of them range between 10 CFM to 15 CFM at 90 PSI. And with this range, they can efficiently power multiple air tools to conduct versatile activities.
Can you paint a car with a 60-gallon air compressor?
Yes, a 60-gallon air compressor is great for car painting. Car painting requires a CFM of 7 to 14, which a 60-gallon air compressor can easily meet. So, you can use them for your house, garage or workshop too.
How big is a 60-gallon air compressor tank?
A 60-gallon air compressor is big enough to support powered air tools like – nailing, drilling, impact wrenches, airbrushing, painting, and more. With a 60-gallon tank, they can effortlessly supply airflow to run these tools.
What are the benefits of using a 60-gallon air compressor?
60-gallon air compressors come with higher CFM and PSI ratings that support medium to heavy workloads. Besides, most of them can operate in lower noise levels ranging from 65dB to 78 dB. Thus, you can do heavy compressing tasks using them while maintaining a quieter environment..